Thursday, November 22, 2007

A time to dwell on the goodness of God!


Thanksgiving was historically a wonderful time in my life. Growing up as a child, I only have the fondest of memories --going to Granny's house, playing with my cousins and really enjoying all of the holiday traditions. There was a time about 20 years ago, where Thanksgiving became a very dreaded day in my life, like so many holidays.

A dear sweet lady wrote me a note a few days before we were to celebrate Thanksgiving one year that made all of the difference in the world in my regaining my perspective on this special day. She encouraged me to remember that "Thanksgiving was a time to dwell on the goodness of God!"

I must say that I thought that I had always been thankful, but when I began focusing on God's goodness and not just my thankfulness, the celebration of that day took on new meaning. God's goodness far out weighed any dread I could ever have in my heart towards a day, a celebration, or a person.

This year Thanksgiving has taken on an even greater significance in my life. While doing genealogy research for my family, with the help of a cousin, have discovered that my ancestors celebrated the very first Thanksgiving at Plymouth Rock. Yes, I am a direct descendant of the Elder William Brewster, the oldest pilgrim who came to America from England on the Mayflower.

How has that changed my thinking about Thanksgiving this year. I am reminded of Hebrews 11 and 12 where the scripture says we have "so great a cloud of witnesses", and I am very grateful that I live in a nation where I can still openly profess Christ without fear of persecution or execution, I am grateful for the legacy of faith that my forefathers brought to this country, and I am grateful for a heritage of faithful fathers who loved God and were willing to live righteously and die, if need be, to preserve the privilege to worship a Holy God in Spirit and Truth!

Happy Thanksgiving, I pray that you may learn to dwell on the goodness of God in a new and fresh way today!

2 comments:

Dianne said...

You'll never believe this, but I thought the geneology connection you shared with me the other day was so cool, so I mentioned to my sister and she said WE are related to someone who came over on they Mayflower too...Thomas Rogers. (I looked it up online and he evidently came over, but died the first winter in Plymouth in 1621). I need to ask my mom more today when I talk to her...she's the geneology buff (so I'm SURE that's how my sister knew about Thomas Rogers). My grandmother's maiden name was Rogers, but I think they spelled it Rodgers. After I chat with my mom and get my facts straight, I'll let you know, but isn't that cool...I thought...'WOW..looks like Leanne and I were destined to be friends!' :-)

GREAT post! Hope you have a great day!

Dianne said...

Okay, so as not to mislead anyone who reads this, I just spoke to my mom and she said that there is no confirmation that the Thomas Rogers that came over is definitely related...she has an aunt that is 100, literally 100 (!!), and she's done LOADS of geneology as have some others in the family, and no one can confirm that we're related to him, but my mom's aunt swears we are, so who knows! I'll keep you posted! :-)