Friday, September 21, 2007

A Tribute - The Lord is my Shepherd!

1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. 3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

This afternoon, a precious saint went home to be with the Lord, Bev Maday. Her husband sent an email to many who had been faithfully praying for Bev since 2000 when she was first diagnosed with breast cancer. The email read:


Bev passed away today (Friday) at about 4:30pm. All of our family was at her bedside and we witnessed the entire 23 Psalm and we saw Bev walk fearlessly through the shadow of the valley of death. An amazing wife, mom, friend and Mimi. We will follow-up quickly with funeral celebration plans. Her last words were "To God be the Glory!"

Thanks for all your prayers.........God is Good and Great!


I received several phone calls to inform me of her passing and it was not until late this evening that I sat down to read the email that her husband sent shortly after her death. I began thinking about the 23rd Psalm. Such a familiar passage of scripture and so often taken for granted.

My mama passed away in October of 2004 and she had written her own 23rd Psalm which ministered to so many people at her funeral. I will share her 23rd later.

So what is this passage really saying to me, as I think and ponder this day.

In Christ there is completeness, I will never lack anything. He is the Shepherd that will leave the 99 and go searching for the one sheep that is lost. Praise God that He chose me and that I have been saved by faith alone in Christ alone!

As my Shepherd, Christ leads me, restores me, teaches me, rests me, strengthens me, directs my paths, provide for all of my needs according to His riches in glory.

If and when I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, there will be nothing to fear, for Christ is the great Comforter! As the words of the song sung by Travis Cottrell says, "no guilt in life---no fear in death", may these words be said of me.

When trials come, and they will come, God goes before me to prepare the way. And He not only prepares the way or the table before me, the anointing oil is symbolic of the Holy Spirit given to me, to empower me to walk in obedience and strength for whatever lies ahead.

Oh, His goodness and mercy have been given to me in immeasurable abundance, every single day since He called me out of darkness into His marvelous light.

He gives me a dwelling place, not just something to look forward to in heaven, but He comes to me and gives me glimpses of His glory, a time of refreshing where His mercies are new every morning. Tabernacled in Christ, I have a hope and a future that gives me an abiding relationship with a Holy God, today; and an eternal home, someday!


I praise God for the life of Bev Maday and the tremendous impact that she has had on so many lives on this earth. Tonight, I am sure that she is sitting at the feet of Jesus where her final earthly words ring truer than ever before: TO GOD BE THE GLORY!

If you are lacking anything in your life, hurting, lonely, sad, defeated or just tired, I challenge you to run quickly to the Great Shepherd who loves you with an everlasting love and is waiting to give you not only Salvation, but also a Hope and a Future, in Christ alone!

1 comment:

Dianne said...

Fabulous post Leanne and I LOVE your Mom's 23rd Psalm! I appreciate you sharing that. As always, you are right on target, a wonderful encouragement and a huge blessing. THANK YOU!